Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The sweet high desert

This post continues on from this one.

By now I'm driving through the last opalescent light of the day. The road out of Palm Springs takes me through a valley lined with row upon row of ghostly wind turbines and up and over the Morongo Canyon.  I'm chasing the light, and as the sun goes down behind the San Jacinto mountains, it's bathing the canyon before me in ethereal broad strokes.  I'm busting through, pushing on through, while the outside desert air is still and clear and quiet.

Night is falling.  I'm driving through Yucca valley now, along the highway.  The land is increasingly dotted with desert natives, Mohave Yucca, Desert Willow and Californian Juniper, but it's the Joshua trees with their startling, Suess-like appearance, that demand your attention.

I pull off into a suburban side road to pursue a photo of a pair of young Mormons on their bikes on the road to nowhere. I'm entranced with a glimpse into other peoples lives, their dusty gardens lined with sentinel Cypress trees.  I like this place. It's small town America, big car, high desert, seemingly quiet on the surface...

Joshua Trees dot the spacious, dusty suburbs of Yucca Valley.

I make it up the last mile of windy road to reach the gateway to the Joshua Tree National Park.  Only one corner of the sky is pink. I've made it to a late blooming sunset in Joshua Tree. The sky has one more gift for me tonight. That final pink corner lights right up across that big old desert sky, turning it into a spectacular hued playground before finally falling dark.   The desert is as absolutely beautiful as I remember.  It's quiet - oh so quiet - but so alive!

This is the land of jack rabbits and coyotes and I strain to see or hear them, in the end my perseverance is rewarded with a sighting of a little antelope squirrel, running full tilt across the black top, picked out by my headlights as I swoop out of the park.

I need to find accommodation for the night and decide to head on to 29 Palms, to the 29 Palms Inn, based at a different Park entrance, one that I'll enter the park through on the morrow.  Arriving in pitch black, I have no idea where I am or what to expect.  My room for the night turns out to be an adobe cabin looking out to the high desert and a night sky full of glorious stars.   This wee gem of a motel just happens to have a bar, restaurant and band playing beside a fire pit. I sink a few and dive into a lovely evening getting to know the mostly local cliental that are either working behind or hanging out at the bar.  The cast of characters includes a helicopter pilot marine, a woman whose husband is in Afghanistan and a young gay woman.  I couldn't help but ask about what it's like to be gay in a small desert town. Fine, she replied, no problems.  This is a surprise and it makes me happy.

I fall into bed smelling like wood smoke.

The last wash of lights transforms the desert sky over the national park (see below). 




I force myself to wake at 6am to admire the dawn sky and then drift back off to sleep. Later, I grab a hurried breakfast, and take a walk around the Inn. Little did I know that I had stayed at an actual desert Oasis - the Mara Oasis.  Mara, a Serrano word,  means "the place of little springs and much grass." It was the Serrano that planted the 29 palms that surround the spring that gives the town its name.  One for each new baby boy born.  These palms provided the Serrano with food, clothing, cooking implements, and housing.  It's so pretty.

Mara Oasis, 29 Palms Inn.

Morning light through my shower curtain.

I set off for the park. $15 for 7 day access sounds like a steal for me. I'm pushed for time, so it's a whirlwind drive through, with stops to pause and breathe.  The desert is so so quiet, still, seemingly deserted. But I know it isn't.  Three distinct ecosystems meet here. The Colorado desert in the south eastern part, the Mohave to the north and the Joshua Tree to the west make for a rich diversity of plant and animal life including 6 species of rattle snake!  If you look long enough you start to see movement.  A bounding black-tailed jack rabbit.  A road runner. Under a rock is a busy ants nest. Golden eagles hunt regularly in the skies above. 

And then there's the geology.  Sweeping rock formations called Monozogranite populate the park.  I drove on through - luckily for me and my old man's bladder there's a variety of restrooms and camp grounds available for visitors.  I see a truck driver asleep at the wheel of his parked up rig.  I brazenly get close to have a look at his slumber. I move on. 
Truck stop, Joshua Tree National Park. 



Back on the freeways, leaving the desert behind me, I reenter the Los Angeles fray. 

xJ

1 comment:

  1. in being amazingly Watches Replica durable, but rather, in its intense attention to detail, finishing, and technology, all in a relatively simple and straight forward case. Seiko (especially) has a very serious relationship with high-end dive Designer handbags replica watches and the company produces no shortage of them each year. The Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver SBGA029 isn’t Replica Rolex Watches even that new.

    ReplyDelete