Monday, April 5, 2010

♥♥♥ Nana Ruby ♥♥♥

Ruby red dress left us on Saturday. She was 92. I wear one of her beautiful coats and dresses frequently - a royal blue Burberry trench, and an elegant pleated black dress - both of which remind me of the young woman she once was. My father painted a portrait of them both (my Grandpop Bill) standing with their gorgeous Holden Special at the gates of their Rotoiti lake house. I have photos of Nana standing with mum at the races and a glory box full of the most exquisitely knitted children's clothes Nana made for me when i was an infant. I'm hoping to pass those on. Dad asked me to look up the London address on her birth certificate yesterday. To our surprise we realised she was born just 4 miles from where I now live. This I think may explain why I feel so at home in East London. My Nana was an East Londoner. I can't get back home to see her off and that breaks my heart. So I'll honour her from here.

3 comments:

  1. She doesn't need you back in Auckland Jess - tho we'll all miss you this week. Ruby would be glad to have her beautiful granddaughter wearing her kit and hanging in her hood back "home".
    Thanks for the lovely photo - that's Nana's smile as I'll always remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also worn some of Ruby's clothes, she reworked them so I could wear them...... As I work around the gardens at The Wood she's been in my thoughts, oh Ruby Red Dress.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to hear this Jess. Must be hard for you but I know she will live on in you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete