Saturday, December 12, 2009

Graceland part two







Visiting Memphis was a strange, lovely, sad trip. It was Thanksgiving Sunday, which might explain why this blues town was ghost-like. Visiting Graceland fits right in if you're talking about ghosts. It wasn't what either Kelly or myself expected. Not as big, and set visible to the road, Graceland lives in a part of Memphis that is bordering on poor and black. The tourist centre has seen better days, and feels rather gloomy, although flowers and tributes still turn up to Elvis's home on a daily basis from fans all round the world.

His home was full of ghosts. Nowhere was more melancholic then his surprisingly ordinary kitchen. With all the pizzaz and early 70s splendor, you still got the sense of his great love of family from their home. I'm really rather glad I paid my respects to him and the great city of Memphis. I'm currently reading: Battling the Plantation Mentality: Memphis and the Black Freedom Struggle by historian Laurie Green. It's somewhat heavy-going, but a very apt souvenir. I definitely needed some substance to mull over how Memphis left me feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment