Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When in Cambridge, go punting.


It was a gorgeous day so there was a bit of chaos on the waters, mainly caused by humiliated parents steering unsuccessfully around obstacles while their children sat rigid with fear in the back seat. I saw one small boy seemingly going through his first childhood realisation that no, his father can't actually do everything well. I think he might remain fairly traumatised around boats and water and big sticks for the rest of his life. There was a lot of embarrassed flushed cheeks. We took the much more sensible option and got punted in luxury down the river. I happily snapped all the student punters, for all your sakes of course. There were actually one or two lady punters, who seemed far more skilled then their male counterparts - weaving down the river with a strange kind of grace and plenty of 'push'. Best part of the colleges was Clare College (David Attenborough's college) and its lovely garden on the far side of the river. It was all very Harry Potter. We even found a cafe that proudly advertised the "best Flat Whites in town". And, if you've been to England, you know good coffee is very hard to find.









*best college practical joke I heard* The students have been known to recreate some of the bridge's concrete ball decorations in paper mache... then position them on the bridges only push them off into the loaded punts full of asian tourists below ... apparently said passengers scatter pretty fast out of those boats once they realise one of those "heavy concrete" balls are coming down (hehehe).

5 comments:

  1. Oh I remember taking Liz & Conon there and spent the whole 'punt' slavering over our punter - the most beautiful man I had ever seen. Well, I can dream, can't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange time on my comment. It is actually 1924 hrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh there were some real beauties out on the river. Oh yes there were. Especially the half naked one above. I was trying to get poor sam to take the better shot. They just look so good when they're working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the 1st punter photo of his head under bridge is a good photo.. I'm talking about good photos here! I do agree seeing a man working hard is lovely to watch(not being funny)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm I sure that's The Queen with her back to us and big hat...

    ReplyDelete