Thursday, August 13, 2009

Joe Morgenstern interviews the Lumets

Joe, amazing Joe, interviewed director Sidney Lumet and screenwriter Jenny Lumet (Lena Horne's grandaughter!!!) live at the Lincoln Centre to a sold out audience for the Wall Street Journal's Summer Scoops Live series. Apparently Joe had a absolute ball hanging out with the Lumets, and as you can see, the man's a natural on film/digital as well as writing about it... he told me, "What I cherished about the evening was the chance to exchange passions -- about movies in general, and clips I showed in particular -- with a filmmaker who's been passionate about his craft for more than 50 years and remains so. Movies are a threatened species of entertainment, but you wouldn't have thought so during the course of the evening. The audience loved it, and that was another source of pleasure for me -- showing clips from films the audience members either did know (happy sounds of recognition) and didn't know, and were inspired to go forth and seek out." I'm hoping Joe will do more of these for us, because I'm sure we'll be able to feed him questions! Wink wink, nudge nudge...

Sidney Lumet's filmography includes, 12 Angry Men (1957), Serpico (1973), Dog Day Afternoon (1975) and his latest, Before the Devil knows your Dead (2007). His daughter Jenny, wrote the screenplay for Rachel Getting Married (2008).




2 comments:

  1. he's so marvellous.
    i love dog day afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney Lumets "Network " is a must see!

    "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more"

    ReplyDelete