Monday, May 18, 2009

Tombs of the Kings, Pafos







I'm getting so lazy, really.  I've stopped writing about these marvelous, complex places because it's just too easy to show you with photos.  But really, they're only the tip of the iceberg.  It was so hot this day Emily and I spent in Pafos, or so I thought at the time.  It's even hotter now...  this place was filled with the sounds of field insects - cicadas rattling like snakes - and the scent of the sun and sweat and the near sea.  Wild flowers littered this place, all inky blues, lilac and creams and the scarlet of late easter poppies.   The tombs were quiet except for the chatter of startled tourists coming upon each other through holes cut in the rock.   There were no kings buried here, just the rich.  Although they were beautiful in their steadiness, I felt a little strange trespassing on this hollow place. No more bodies, just a damp hush below and dry grass above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment