Saturday, April 25, 2009

approaching storm


This is my backyard in Nicosia.  It's a ramble of empty back lots, construction, silent homes and general isolation and quiet.  It's great. What a place to think huh? The eeriest sound is when the ice cream man plays his forlorn song from several streets away, setting the crows a-cawing.  I think of all the children not running towards the van. But they are here, I see evidence of them -brightly coloured plastic play-swings and the odd pirate flag. I'm happy because I feel like I'm living in a 1980s Spielberg film (poltergeist, the goonies, stand by me, ET), full of earnest self-discovery and bike rides through hopeful new suburban developments. After the thunder passes these black skies bring much needed rain for all of 5 minutes.  The light remains golden throughout and the swallows continue to pool-swoop. 




I'm listening to M83 - "Kim and Jessie" 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the atmosphere...what a treat looking out to that everyday. I'm serious, its my sort of thing this landscape...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would love it here then! You, Abby Lee and a camera, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...ha ha...mmmmm...well yes of course

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the light.
    great shots jess
    :)

    ReplyDelete